Thursday, May 5, 2011

hot flashes and sympathy symptoms.

When Mike was diagnosed with cancer in early February, my hot flashes ceased. This was a big deal - and very noticeable - since they have been living with me for about three years now. I would not say we are friends, but I have definitely gotten used to the dance we do. (The installation of the Casa Blanca Panama ceiling fan in our bedroom was a lifesaver.)

Anyway, almost immediately after we discovered Mike's cancer, the hot flashes left town. When I told my wise massage therapist about it she replied "Your energies are concentrated elsewhere." I am here to say that Mike must be better because my hot flashes are back. When I told Mike that he must not need me as much since the hot flashes returned, he said that maybe I just wasn't noticing him as much. His sense of humor has never left.

I also noticed that from day one I naturally said things like "our cancer" and "our treatment plan". I guess that is a natural thing when you are married to your soul mate. But I honestly did not expect to have so many sympathy symptoms. Honestly, I have had a mild version of many of Mike's symptoms to the point that it is almost creepy: My saliva flow increased when Mike couldn't swallow in the hospital and had to use the suction wand. I got weak and starving when he was on the soft food diet. I have had basic cancer fatigue. When Mike stood up for the first time next to his hospital bed after the surgery, I was light-headed and almost passed out. I have had mucous get stuck in the back of my throat. You laugh. I could go on and on. Maybe the power of suggestion is that strong... or maybe that is just part of what Oneness is about.

Anyway, Mike is lucky I have survived all of his symptoms. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment