Friday, July 8, 2011

filling in for pastor mark.

Read excerpts from Susanne's Prayer Journal below.

On the last weekend in June, Mike filled the pulpit for Pastor Mark for the Saturday night and Sunday morning services at First Lutheran Church in Oakland, Nebraska This is not the first time that Pastor Mark has asked Mike to preach for him while he was on vacation, but this time he did say "why don't you share about your cancer journey since it has been such a spiritual ride?"

Mike did an excellent job and I wanted to post about it because he drew his inspiration by reading all the posts and reading all the comments from you, his followers. It was very inspiring for him.

While I cannot adequately capture the sermon in this little space, I would like to share a couple snippets. Besides talking about the numerous "Divine Coincidences", the wonder of prayer support, and his personal experience with angels in the recovery room (see angel sighting Thursday April 14, 2011) Mike also talked about the blessing of watching the girls' faith grow through his cancer journey. To capture the growth, he read an excerpt from Susanne's prayer journal, which she gifted to Mike after his surgery. Here are a couple entries:

March 2, 2011 Dear Jesus, I thank You for the wonderful family you have blessed me with. I thank You for my friends and family that help me in my walk with You Lord Jesus. I thank You for dying on the cross for me. I can't imagine what You went through but I know Your Love is true. The tax collector in the temple once said "Have mercy on me for I am a sinner." Lord, I am a sinner and I pray that you will have mercy on me. When You were walking through the street, a man was calling after You for You to heal him and You did because his faith made him well. Jesus, I pray that my dad's faith will make him heal as did the man on the side of the street. Thank You for my dad having such high spirits. God be with Him through this trial. Give him wisdom and strength to get through the treatment. This treatment is a scary thing. Calm our hearts and let Your presence be known. Lord, You said in Luke 18 that You will grant justice to His elect who cry out day and night. Lord, I pray that you will hear my prayers and heal my father. He loves You, Lord! Give me and my family comfort, Lord. Thy will be done! Amen

March 9, 2011 Dear Jesus, Thank You for the wonderful church service tonight. Thank You for my ability to sing in choir with my friends and my sisters, Lord. Thank You for the fun church dinner tonight. You have truly blessed me and have surrounded me with wonderful, compassionate, loving people. Thank You! Dear Jesus, I am so glad that I am able to come and talk to You in the hard times in my life and even the easy times. Lord, You always answer my prayers in some way. But it is always for a reason, and I understand that Jesus. I pray that You will heal my father from his illness. Lord, let my prayer be heard all the way from the top of the pyramids of Egypt! Let the world see Your strength through my dad - That his illness and how he defeated it was because of faith in You, Lord. Comfort his heart Lord and calm his mind so that he can go into this battle ready to overcome anything that gets in his way of having a healthy life. Lord, You know the plans You have for our lives. Lord, I pray that my dad being cancer-free in the future will be part of Your plan. You are a kind and merciful God. Have mercy on us for we are sinners. Lord, thank You for the Bible and for dying on the cross for my sins. I love You. Amen. Thy will be done!

Mike ended his sermon with the thought that a Marine gets his Eagle, Globe & Anchor because he earns it... but that this cancer journey has been about GRACE. He said he didn't think that he could earn enough money or stature to deserve the right to be Dr. Haughey's patient. He said he knows he isn't deserving of any of the amazing coincidences and loving prayers...

Just like in life's journey... where we don't deserve to be forgiven and saved. "But it is by grace you have been saved through faith; and not of yourselves. It is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment