Wednesday, February 15, 2012

somebody is feeling better.

I was going to make a post about how I have noticed in dozens of little ways that I think Mike is finally starting to feel a bit more like himself... in the brightness of his eyes, his energy level, his ability to eat, how long he can eat without tiring, his looks, his mannerisms, his spunk... a myriad of tiny wonderful improvements.


  And on Valentines Day I got some more proof.  I knew that Mike felt guilty (even though I told him a hundred times it didn't matter) that gifts for my last birthday and Christmas were below his normal standards.  My most recent birthday fell on the day before his last radiation treatment. We were both doing good to survive and honestly something like 'celebrate' sounded ridiculous.  The Christmas holiday wiped us both out more than we anticipated.

Anyway, last night Mike surprised me with diamond  earrings for Valentines Day.  And not only that, it was complete with a story AND one of his made-with-love-and-meaning cards!  Proof that the real Mike is making his comeback!

You want more details? Oh, OK... We have a pink heart tucked into our bathroom mirror that says "I love you" in my handwriting on one side and Mike's on the other.  We have flipped it back and forth every day for about six month now.  The paper is almost worn out. The cover of his card had a color copy cut-out of each side - and the inside read: "Everyday is a Valentine's Day with you..." 
The earring story? In 1956, the year of Mike's birth, Mike's dad gave his mom a watch with two diamonds on it.  They later had a ring made for him with these diamonds and a shark's tooth keepsake.  He took the ring to Borsheims to have the diamonds set in earrings for me, but because there were antique and flat, it was more cost effective to get me new, sparkly ones! (They are so colorful and bright!) He also knew I was tired of the chinky hoop earrings that I wear everyday and want to throw away.

He has always been one of the most thoughtful gift givers... and he is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment