Thursday, September 8, 2011

the answer: in omaha.

The answer to the radiation question is: UNMC. We have officially decided to have Mike's radiation treatment to his left neck at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.

After having UNMC agree to the lower dosage of 60 grey, and after having Dr. Thorstad confirm that he would have to target the entire surgical bed as well, we had a peace about staying in Nebraska for our treatment.

This was a harder decision for me because I did not want to make "convenience" a factor over "most excellent medical care". I think we can do both here.

What stands out most in my mind is a conversation that Mike and I had about ten days ago where he took time to tell me that radiation might be hard on him and he would like to have the support of family and a caring community around him while he did it. He said he would like to sleep in his own bed, and eat my food around our table if he didn't feel good. He said that he wants to be able to go into work as he can. He wants to be around to watch progress on the house. He said that the traveling back and forth made him tired to think about... I think that all of the above will help him to heal and cope.

We have an appointment with Dr. Zhen on Friday, September 9th at 10am to have Mike's radiation mask made which will hold his head still during treatments. Please pray for us - because this is a scary thing.

1 comment: