Wednesday, September 28, 2011

battling cancer.

Mike felt the effects of the radiation by Day Two. By the beginning of Week Two he was officially feeling sick. He has not felt like driving on most of our trips into Omaha and has sometimes laid down in the backseat for a rest during the drive. On Monday he wanted to drive home - not because he was feeling better - but because my driving was bothering him. (When you don't feel well, odd things irritate you. My mother says I am an excellent driver.) It is harder on me when I can tell he doesn't feel good. This week also marked the beginning of the mouth sores and dry mouth. One of the casualties in our battle is Mike's left salivary gland. (We are told that eventually his right salivary gland will pick up the slack.)

In light of all of this, I thought that the calendar that Jackie Shumake made for Mike at work is especially appropriate. Since we are in the middle of a battle with cancer, Jackie found a collection of military stickers. Every day on his way out the door to treatment Jackie hands him a sticker to mark another day in the radiation trenches. (We are so very thankful for the support of all kinds that Mike gets at work.)

This is the first day that I have not accompanied Mike into Omaha. Daughter Evian met him in Fremont and drove in with him so that I could have The Little House Day Spa open today. It is actually very hard not to be there with him. I am trying to use the time well between our appointments. I have been kind of emotional today. It is a unique time. Thank you for your continued prayers as we fight this thing called cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment