Thursday, November 24, 2011

159.

This was Mike's weight when he was a Freshman in high school.  (When I dated him as a Senior he weighed about 174 and wrestled at 167.)  159 is also his weight this week.  Yes, he lost another 6 pounds.  Almost 30 pounds total.  (He has been going to the attic to find Baker's clothes that fit better than his!)

How does this happen now that he has started on real food, you ask? Answer: Now that he does feel better he has started putting in regular work hours and doing his regular (hard) work.  Since it is still very painful to eat and move anything down his throat, he has not been able to keep his calorie intake higher than his calorie output.

He was shocked when he stepped on a scale at work two days ago and saw the low number.  I wasn't surprised when he told me because I saw it coming.  There was marital stress in this equation because I spent considerable time & energy encouraging Mike to "snack" and "eat something now" which all sounded like nagging to him.  I saw him working long hours on oatmeal for breakfast and bird-sized portions at meals - since I am guessing that his stomach was the size of a walnut.

I am thankful to write on this Thanksgiving Day that Mike has been able to increase his portions and also eat more regularly around the clock.   I am also thankful to say that when I suggest a snack he respects the suggestion and usually says yes.  He has a true respect for the importance of caloric intake.

I am mostly thankful for him... and that I still have him around to blog about.    Thank You Lord for your loving care and provision for such excellent care for Mike... and for all the loving friends and family who are journeying with us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment