Tuesday, November 8, 2011

we turned a corner.

At dinner last night I looked at Mike and announced "Your color is coming back".  This replaces what I call the POW grey.  I think we can finally say we have turned the corner!  Mike's ability to swallow has greatly improved.  He still cannot eat because of the large burn / sore on the side of his tongue and the pain that results from anything touching it, but the Orgain Protein drinks are going down easier.  We are bumping the intake to 6 per day.

Mike gets an effort medal for "trying" some real food every day this week.  Last night I made a 12 Bean Soup thinking that the broth would be comforting (and nutritious.)  With every bite Mike's whole body contorted in pain until I said "Stop! Not worth it. Your mouth isn't ready!"

I would say we peaked on the pain and discomfort scale this past weekend - and I could not post the photo of Mike's neck burn then. The Blogger police would report the gore and creepy factor.  But by today his outer "wound" looks tamer and it would reason that the inside injuries are turning toward healing now too. 

Mike is trying to put in his normal hours at work already.  I know that he is so very appreciative of all the support he has gotten from everybody at work.

The eleven days from Friday October 28th (his last radiation treatment) to November 8th went slowly.  We were told he could get worse, and he did... but it seems like we are rounding a corner.  Finally. Halleujah.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, Just spent the last few minutes catching up on your blog posts. I confess, it had been awhile. What a journey. And what a testimony to who you and Mike are that you have so many true friends alongside you. I'm glad to read that things are going better. Love to you both. Sharon

    ReplyDelete