Wednesday, August 3, 2011

the ride continues.

We just heard back from Dr. Haughey's nurse and we have surgery scheduled for next Wednesday, August 10th. We are to arrive at the Center for Advanced Medicine at 8am for the 10am procedure. This is the building that Dr. Haughey's office is in and we snapped this photo yesterday. While we were ready to rally if a surgery space opened up this week, it also feels kind of good to be heading back home tonight to get our bearings for "the ride" next week.

This is all a bit numbing. Mike said that in reference to MikesLongRide, he felt like he was nearing the end of his ride on the east coast and they turned him around and said you have to go back a bit. (For those who have been blogging along the journey with us, MikesLongRide is his analogy of the cancer journey being like the challenge of his bucket list goal of riding his bike across the US.) Friend Janice Vespa suggested this morning that maybe we should view this as just stopping for a tune up! We like that.

When you start a long journey like this with cancer, you really do not know where the ride will take you... but we do like knowing the One who is sovereign over the Ride and rest in the fact that He is holding on to us.

Words that comfort today:

1 O LORD, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. 3 You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. 4 Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all. 5 You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it. 7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. 9 If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 10 Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me. 11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night,” 12 Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You. 13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. 14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; 16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. Psalm 139: 1-16

4 comments:

  1. Mike....this was on Newman Tractor's e-mail ad....I thought of you...

    COURAGE
    It takes courage to go where God leads. He'll often take us right to the doorstep of our greatest fears, put us face-to-face with someone we can't stand to be around, or bring a situation into our life that seems impossible to work out. These are not times to panic. These are the times when we can really see God's power in action.

    We were not created to handle tough times alone. Consider David. The only reason he could conquer a giant was because God was with him. We have the same advantage. God is fighting every battle with us, never against us. So take courage. Stand up to the giants in your life. With God's help, victory is at hand.

    Don't lose your courage or be afraid. Don't panic or be frightened, because the LORD your God goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies and to save you.
    Deuteronomy 20:3-4

    Also....Just so you know....if your going to ride your bike across the US, you have to expect that you will have a flat tire. Dr. Haughey will fix your flat tire, so it's all good. Praying that no more nails find your tires!

    Melvinsky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this isn't just Mike's attempt at a more dramatic scar this time! Tell him there are easier ways to get attention! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying continually. JVH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike you are so strong. I don't think i know any body else that could fight this battle as great as you do! Me and my whole family are keeping you in our prayers! love you! stay strong... i'll see you soon... i'll be over for supper! haha

    ReplyDelete