Thursday, April 14, 2011

angel sighting

This is Mike writing today. I told this story to Karen, Janice & Tom at dinner and they asked me to post it. Have you ever prayed for protection for someone by asking God to encamp angels around them? I often do for Baker serving in Afghanistan. If you prayed that prayer for me during the "Grand Canyon" part of my Ride then I have a vivid picture of what that looks like. Just off the ventilator in the post-op observation room, my hospital bed was a sea of movement. The bed moved to relieve any pressure points , the air pillows under my legs inflated and deflated and that was all very understandable to me. Even through the morphine I could see the mechanics of that but I couldn't understand how the nurses could be using the tender wisps of light to caress my face and throat to the point I would swallow and then it would all start over. I thought they had me connected to a computer and it was one of the nurses jobs to insert their hands into mittens and through the computer send electrical signals to any number of wires connected to me. As they moved the mittens, at the computer console, it transmitted the most delicate sense of touch to my neck, head and throat. I'd wait for the wisps of light to work their way up to my throat and gently coax me to swallow. Just having trans oral laser microsurgery done by the country's top surgeon, it came as no surprise to me that Barnes-Jewish Hospital would also have such advanced technology for head and neck recovery. I became convinced that the computer console behind the curtain, next to my bed, was the place where this was controlled. I was so convinced that I purposed to question one of the nurses, as soon as I could talk, that is. My chance came and I asked the nurse if she was manipulating the computer. She said, "What?" I thought, "Well, she probably couldn't understand me since I talk like I have a sock stuffed in my throat". So I repeated the question and she scowled at me said "No!" and went about her duties. I was a little scared to look behind the curtain. I guess I watched "The Wizard of Oz" too many times to know that I wasn't suppose to pay any attention to that person behind the curtain. When I finally got ready to move to my room I happened to glance behind the curtain only to find a hand washing sink. So you tell me, hi-tech recovery software or the hands of angels. I'm betting that what I had was the hands of angels encamped there by your prayers of protection urging me on to quick recovery.

1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt at ALL that those angels were there with you, Mike! God knew exactly what you needed RIGHT THEN!!!!
    Love to you both,
    Jan and Paul

    ReplyDelete