Friday, April 8, 2011

night time update.

Today was a rich day. Today was an exhausting day. It was almost too deep to reflect on when I am this tired, but here it is a nutshell --- It was thrilling to have Mike back. It was hard to see him in discomfort and scared. It was the sweetest thing in the world to hear him talk to his mom and all the girls... and me. It was the best to hear his sense of humor in tact from the moment he woke up. He came off the sedation slower than we expected. The nurses suggested morphine to keep him comfortable during the day. By the end of the day I asked them to use something else if he needed pain medication. I asked Janice Vespa (former RN and now VP of a multi-state hospital complex) to look up the possible side effects of morphine: agitation, anxiety, fear, mood swings, sleeplessness, drowsiness. This describes Mike today. It was unsettling for me because none of the above characterize Mike. If there are any blue-bracelet wearers (figuratively and literally) out there tonight who want to know how to pray for him, please pray for a natural, peaceful night's sleep. He is exhausted.

2 comments:

  1. Just checking the blog after my crop. Got my blue bracelet on and I'm praying. Love to you! -jvh

    ReplyDelete
  2. That morphine's a real interesting deal. I didn't even know who Paul was when he was put on an oral morphine med a couple of years ago. After a quick call to the doctor, it was immediately stopped! Thank goodness!!! Our prayers continue!!!
    Love to you both, Jan and Paul

    ReplyDelete