Sunday, April 10, 2011

st. louis marathon.

Today, April 10th, is the St. Louis Marathon. 20,000 runners and 1500 volunteers. We really feel a part of the excitement of the race because believe it or not, Tom & Janice Vespa's daughter Mona is the marathon coordinator! Her job is running the St. Louis Marathon (not running in it.) It has been exciting to have this close connection to the big event.
But it has also been exciting because we are having our own St. Louis Marathon right here in Room 6236. 26 full bites of soft food (ie Ted Drewes Custard) and at least 26 laps around the hospital corridors.
And we are off to a great start! Mike has already made about 5 rounds out to the nurses station and elevator - and the exciting part - drum roll please - he successful gotten down at least 6 spoonfuls of custard! I am elated. He wanted to try a bite first thing this morning and he worked it down - no violet gagging or coughing. I said "Sweetie, did you really get that down?" and he said "Yeah, I practiced swallowing saliva all night." I cried I was so proud. We are off to a great start in the 6236 Marathon.

6 comments:

  1. Yay!!! So good to read your positive reports! Have a blessed Sabbath. Love to you both, SM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great going Mike!! Now hurry up and get back to the Casa, 'cause I miss seeing you out the back door. (Boy what I'm I going to do when you move.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Mikie!! Keep on keeping on today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted Drewes?! Now I know you are in my home town! You and all those caring for you are in our thoughts and prayers. Colby was in church today....he high-fived the confirmands as he went through the line...made me give thanks for you!
    Jan W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go ahead and finish off the whole container of custard! We will be happy to go get you some more. Thanking God that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete