Saturday, April 16, 2011

the spit bottle.

This post is here in honor of my sweet daddy, Jerry Wallerstedt. Though he went HOME this past July, he continues to live large in our lives. The above photo is not to tell you that we stopped at Cardwells on Wednesday for nourishment after we found out our soba soup spot was closed, but for you to notice the "spit bottle" sitting at Mike's left foot. Sweet Mike has learned to swallow most of his saliva, most of the time, but when he needs to save some swallowing energy for food intake he uses a spit bottle. You get the picture (and I'm sorry for that.)
But for those of you who knew my daddy, he used a spit bottle during the last year of his life and this brings back some good memories. Dad wasn't quite as discreet as Mike is, and that "rough around the edges" was part of his charm.
Anyway, I thought it was time for some Jerry memories. Thankfully for Mike, it was my dad who gave me lots of experience with hospital stays and pee jugs.
One of our greatest treasures is a video we had made of my daddy just weeks before the Lord ushered him to his heavenly Home. Enjoy the 10 minute video tribute and learn some words of wisdom from a great man... http://www.bandbvideo.com/Jerry
Thanks for the memories, Daddy.

1 comment:

  1. Karen...thank you for sharing that video of your father. It touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes! Thinking about you and Mike daily!

    ReplyDelete