Saturday, April 9, 2011

first food.

Don't tell Mike I said this but it is easier to feed a baby who doesn't want to eat. He is trying on jello and resisting the grits and oatmeal I found at the cafeteria. They want him on soft solids - no ice cream (too cold - bummer - frozen custard would make this easier!) and no liquids yet. He has to develop the swallowing skill set first. Not only is the swallowing hard but it is also scary for Mike because of the drowning sensation. It helped when the nurse told him to MUSCLE THROUGH IT.
Now that is language he can understand.
Then Dr. Rich, Dr. Haughey's chief resident, came by to set a good example for Mike with his dish of soft yogurt.

4 comments:

  1. glad to see you are eating "real" food. Curt says about the drowning sensation and learning to swallow.... welcome to his world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Rich looks a little like Buck when Buck was about 12!!!! Wow! He looks young....like Doogie Houser! :) I have to run up to Oakland...I am going to stop at the Big House and take a peek. Good to see you sitting up, Mike! Rest well today!! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Mike... I am just going to say.... when I click on your photo and zoom in.... I am thinking Cuckoo's Nest... LOL You look like you could star in that movie... just wanted to give you a little laugh. I am praying for you! Glad you are a MARINE and can fight this battle Mike. Psalm 91 - Read it to him Karen!!! love ya both, sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you dad!! you look better than me in my prom dress:)) love you sooo sooo soooo much!!!! im praying for you and karen to have a peaceful night of sleep and to heal fast!!!

    ReplyDelete